Home > visa bulletin > March 2008 Visa Bulletin // With Comments and Discussion

March 2008 Visa Bulletin // With Comments and Discussion

February 12th, 2008 Leave a comment Go to comments

Hot off the press – March Visa Bulletin. I will post some commentary later today or tonight. Feel free to drop your comment below.

The most obvious development was the progress in the employment-based third preference (EB3). The cutoff date jumped ahead for “EB3 Philippines” and “EB3 All Chargeability Areas” (everywhere but China, India or Mexico).

What did the notes of the March visa bulletin say about this movement?

The cut-off date movement for March in several Employment categories has been greater than those experienced in recent months. Advancement of the cut-off dates at this time should prevent a situation later in the fiscal year where there are large amounts of numbers available but not enough time to use them. If the expected increase in CIS number use materializes, future cut-off date movements could slow or stop.

March 2008 // Employment-Based Visa Bulletin:

March 2008 Visa Bulletin - Employment

March 2008 // Family-Based Visa Bulletin:

March 2008 Visa Bulletin - Family

1. February 29th, 2008 at 07:26 | #1

@Mel: It’s my pleasure. You asked about the 180 day rule for FBI name checks… very good question.

I have been wanting to post that February 4th Memo updating USCIS policy on FBI name checks, but I’ve been waiting for the updated Questions and Answers to be released. USCIS finally posted them today.

See New FBI Name Check Policy for I-485 Applicants.

Feel free to drop your questions in the comments.

@Edz: I hope so, too.

@Tania: Hi. Thanks for writing. Your questions involve some complicated issues and are beyond the scope of this site. But I’ll remind you again that you are asking about applying for nonimmigrant visas (student/F and visitor/B2) when you have already filed an immigrant visa (I-140) in October 2007. There must be an immigration attorney, or at least a company, that helped you apply for the I-140 petition. Have you asked them what you should do? Let us know what they say.

@Che-Che: Hi. See these processing times.

1. Pick the Nebraska Service Center from the dropdown box
    2. Scroll down to your application category
    3. Let me know if you have any trouble
  2. che-che
    March 1st, 2008 at 08:59 | #2

hi john. i observed that texas is more faster in processing the applications. and the nebraska is quite slow. is it because nebraska has more applicants as compared to texas service center? thanks..

3. David
    March 3rd, 2008 at 05:44 | #3

Hi John,

Background: My kids and I are derivative beneficiaries (following-to-join) of my wife, who is now a legal permanent resident under an E3 visa. Our priority date is Nov. 20, 2003.

With the movement in the March VB, we’ve now been notified that we’re scheduled for an interview in April, and we’re now putting together the documentary requirements. One thing that confuses us is the Affidavit of Support — there are two forms, Form I-864 and Form I-134. Which one do we use as following-to-join beneficiaries? Thanks!

4. shaina
    March 3rd, 2008 at 06:39 | #4

hi! would like to know if my F2B petition is approved, how long will my papers be processed for NVC/packet 3 filing?
    thanks so much!

5. josssy
    March 3rd, 2008 at 23:56 | #5

Hi Joe my priority date is Sep 2002. could you tell me when I ‘m supposed to be called for interview

6. josssy
    March 3rd, 2008 at 23:58 | #6

it’s with the F1 GROUP.

7. Anna
    March 4th, 2008 at 04:29 | #7

after reading all these threads, may I ask what is the definition of a *priority date* for an F4 visa.
    Where can I see that once I submitted my application? My brother who is a US citizen plans to apply for me and my family under the F4 immigrant visa .
    I am not based in the Phils (but still phil citizen)and my family and I have 10 year multiple entry in the States (up 2015). We’ve travelled in the USA for 2x already, for the past 10 yrs. So my questions are: if ever we submit our application as F4 immig will our current 10 year visitor visa be affected, do u think they will be more strict to my family on our nxt visit since we will be showing our desire to live there permanently. How long does the processing of this F4 visa takes? 5 years? 10 years? does the help of a immigration lawyer speed up the process? do u have any idea abt the fees asked by them?
    More power to this website because you have been giving a lot of help to people.

8. mia
    March 4th, 2008 at 18:13 | #8

hi
    I am a F1 student and a RN not currently working for lack of work permit. I have a I-140 pending, once it is approved, will i still have to go to school?

9. March 5th, 2008 at 08:17 | #9

@Che-che: I don’t think it’s quite as simple as that. But the processing dates at the link I provided you earlier are updated regularly so keep checking.

@David: Even USCIS does not know the difference. I use form I-864 for adjustments of status and form I-134 for consular processing.

@Shaina: I’m really not sure. But if you post your location and maybe someone else who has gone through the same will comment.

@Josssy: I wish I knew. The April visa bulletin should be out soon, though. Maybe it will tell us more.

@Anna: The priority date is generally the filing date for your visa petition. For some employment-based categories, the priority date is the date on which the labor certification is filed (before the visa petition). You will find your priority date clearly marked on the receipt notice USCIS provides upon filing the visa petition.

The timing depends on way too many things. But the priority date in the March visa bulletin was February 1986, just to put things in perspective.

I do think filing immigrant visa petitions might affect an existing visitor visa. But it’s definitely not uncommon and, so long as you can provide solid evidence that you will not stay without permission, it shouldn’t be a deal-breaker.

Hiring an immigration lawyer does not speed up the process, by itself. But an immigration lawyer can evaluate your situation and help you find the best solution. Immigration lawyers need to be creative and intimately familiar with the constantly changing laws. The fees for an immigration lawyer vary depending on a lot of factors. I worked at a large firm where the lead immigration attorney billed at over $400 per hour. But I have also heard of attorneys charging less than $600 for an H-1B visa petition (I don’t know how they do it).

Try asking some of your friends if they can recommend an immigration lawyer. If that doesn’t work, try to set up an appointment with an attorney (or several attorneys) on your next trip to the US. Call the local bar associations in that area to get a recommendation. You can also find out an awful lot about an immigration lawyer using Google. Unfortunately, some immigration lawyers (just like any other occupation) are not the most trustworthy. You really have to use your “gut” to determine whether you’ve found the right lawyer for you. Good luck.

@Mia: Hi. You can only apply for your green card (and receive temporary work authorization) if the cutoff date for your category moves past your priority date. Where are you from?

10. Mia
    March 5th, 2008 at 21:35 | #10

I am from congo in africa

11. shaina
    March 6th, 2008 at 00:13 | #11

thanks John! Im from the Philippines and have seenmovements in via bulletin since last yr. I just too excited to know how long the process would be if my petition will b approced. thanks in advance

12. sussie
    March 6th, 2008 at 00:54 | #12

hi all this visa bulletin is new to me………i would like to know how long it would take for me to get my visa.
    category:f1
    date:feb.2006

13. che-che
    March 6th, 2008 at 14:55 | #13

hi john, when do u think are they gonna post the April visa bulletin? I really hope it will move for EB3 Phil and the other countries also..nurses are waiting frantically for the movement.Thank you, God bless your site..it has been very helpful for many of us.

14. Ran
    March 6th, 2008 at 20:15 | #14

Hi John,

EB3 Philippines,PD Jan 2006, Do you think there is a posibility for my PD to be current this year?

15. jess
    March 6th, 2008 at 23:52 | #15

Dear John,
    I sponsored my wife and she’s in category 2A. Her priority date is sep.11.2003

16. edskie
    March 7th, 2008 at 12:56 | #16

Hi John,

Can you please tell us where i can find my priority date? Thanks

17. March 9th, 2008 at 07:17 | #17

@Mia: Did you file your I-485 at the same time? Or was your priority date not current? I’m assuming you didn’t. You can’t file your I-485 (and work authorization) until the cutoff date for your category moves past your priority date. The more info you provide, the better I can answer.

@Shaina: The processing times vary and depend on a lot of factors. But most consulates will send out notices and schedule appointments within a matter of weeks.

@Sussie: Hi. Welcome. Where are you from? The visa numbers vary based on your country of birth.

@Che-Che: I think the April visa bulletin will be posted next week.. Tuesday maybe? I hope there is movement for EB3 Philippines as well. But as I’ve said before, the dates jumped forward recently and I don’t expect it to happen again (I hope I’m wrong).

@Ran: It’s possible. But, in my opinion, it’s unlikely because the dates have already jumped forward so much recently. Let’s hope I’m wrong.

@Jess: The cutoff date is May 15, 2003 across the board (except for Mexico). I haven’t been following the family 2A preference and don’t have any insight. Sorry.

@Edskie: Hi. What type of case do you have? The priority date is generally the filing date of the initial petition. It is listed on your receipt notice(s) from USCIS.

18. chas
    March 12th, 2008 at 08:27 | #18

Hi john
    Im a nurse from the phils. I met all the requirements & finished my interview & medical exam last nov of 2006 under EB3 category but still affected by the retro. My PD was july 26, 2004 & its been current for almost 2 wks. I already made a ff up since my case became current thru email, fax & phone calls but have’nt receive any single reply from the embassy regarding my case status. What should I do next to facilitate its release? thanks john..

19. louryn
    March 12th, 2008 at 21:15 | #19

hi john ,
    just a question how long untill the April Visa Bulletin comes out?
    thankx

20. March 13th, 2008 at 15:15 | #20

eb3 moved up till 1st oct

21. SoloMon
    March 14th, 2008 at 12:48 | #21

New Bulletin is out!

22. binita
    March 15th, 2008 at 10:45 | #22

hi
    my mother and father citizen iam married and my file cat f3 2004 pls tell me my visa come ? and if i go there visiter visa ?
    thanks

23. March 16th, 2008 at 15:06 | #23

@Chas: You won’t be contacted right away when your priority date becomes current. It’s not as simple as that. When the dates jump forward that far, there are a lot of people in the same situation and the consular officers must decide who gets the visa first (based on priority dates). Let us know what happens.

@Louryn: It’s out. See the April visa bulletin.

@Mala: Yes.

@SoloMon: Yes.

@Binita: Hi. Where are you from?

24. FBaseer
    March 21st, 2008 at 21:24 | #24

I was Indian Citizen when my brother filed for F4 visa.
    I have recently completed choice of address and agency form.

I’m now Canadian citizen and would like that my case be transfered to any embassy/consulate in Canada. Is this possible.

Any information is appreciated.

25. eddie
    March 25th, 2008 at 06:19 | #25

John:

The VB moved for at least 6 months for EB3 Philippines. Would this be an indication for another 6 months move in May? Just wishing it would be. Thanks for your comments and replies.

26. gica
    April 10th, 2008 at 05:46 | #26

hi john, the u.s. embassy – Philippines is asking for my father to submit form 237(H) waiver, but ii can’t find it in the net, do you know where i can download the form? thanks in advance

27. Syril
    April 16th, 2008 at 15:24 | #27

Hi John, I just wanted ask regarding the status of my application.Well, my priority date is December 2005, and I was informed by my employer that I will be receiving my visa by june of this year. If i get married by May or June, how would it affect my application?

28. louie
    April 25th, 2008 at 11:13 | #28

Hi john, my H1 employer wanted me to withdraw my eb3 (eb3 employer is different from my H1)…they told me it will be difficult for me to have H1 because I have pending eb3 (july 2006 PD). Is this true? and do you have any knowledge on withdrawal of eb3 petition? will it be possible to transfer my PD to my H1 employer?

29. April 26th, 2008 at 10:58 | #29

hello to everyone, it seems that john is having a long vacation. I have some inquiry to you guys. My PD is nov. 2006 and my attorney already sent my ds230 to nvc last june 2007 . But when i emailed the nvc a week ago they told me that they cannot process my file because their still waiting for my ds230,hu hu hu! Does this mean that my attorney is not telling the truth? Pls help! I need your response guys. Thanks!

30. Huy
    May 9th, 2008 at 19:17 | #30

Hi John,
    My priority date on the visa bulletin has passed a month ago. However, I did not receive a notification to be sent USCIS for adjusting my status (I am under a student visa – F1). Please tell me what should I do now? Thanks
    Huy

31. Rita
    May 18th, 2008 at 16:56 | #31

My husband is usa citizen.He has put my file March 2008.Can U tell me when my visa come

32. dev
    June 14th, 2008 at 13:50 | #32

thanks jhon for answring my previous question in feb 2008. p.d 08/22/2000 married son.
    I have received ds-3032 and sedt and nvc generated iv bill. now what is the next procedure? and how long it takes?
    me and my wife are canadian citizen( born in india)
    we have one son born in the u.s.a june 2004 and he is leaving with my parents in u.s.a.(while visiting parents premature birth)
    Do we have to show his name in form ds-230 in line 19 & 21a what we have to write ?
    last question is howmuch are current iv bill and medical in canada fees ?

33. connie o.
    August 15th, 2008 at 22:06 | #33

hi!
    Is true that if i petition my mother and i still have brother that under 21 of age , are they automatic be with my mother’s petitioning process? please help… thank a lot!!!

34. connie o.
    August 15th, 2008 at 22:14 | #34

hi

second questioat this time I am a green card holder (permanent resident here in U>S.)
    I just applied N-400 for naturalization last month.
    My questions is is better if I start now petitioning my mother while i’m permanent resident or It’s better if i should wait til I become a U.S. citizen? is it makes any difference? Is it faster or is it the same?
    please advise! I am looking forward for your answer!

Thanks a lot!!!

connie o

35. Irisha
    August 24th, 2008 at 09:13 | #35

Hey John,
    I currently have 2 aunts in the philippines in which my father petitioned for in 91. We still have not heard anything about the status of their petition. It has been a long time. I tried looking on the UCIS website to check their status by receipt number and it says that it is not in the database or something. I need help…for my aunts. Do you have any suggestions to what may have happened or what i can do?

ALso i have two cousins in which are RNs in the philippines. I need help to get them here. I know the whole process of the H1B and H1c. But do you know of any hospitals atleast that are willing to do the sponsorship for these two visas? I currently live in Cali but am willing to find other places out of state for them. ANy suggestions? Thanks and hope to hear from you soon!

36. jatilis
    September 17th, 2008 at 08:13 | #36

Hi!
    i was wondering, i have a pending immigrant visa (EB3), is it safe to apply for a working visa while waiting for the retrogression to be lifted?

37. Jason Purvis
    October 10th, 2008 at 03:53 | #37

Hey, i hope someone can hlep me. I am a 23 year old male from Ireland who has been coaching soccer in the U.S. for the psat 3 years. My h2b runs out in November and i want to stay here without the company who originally brought me here. Another company is willing to give me a non soccer related job, and file for immigration through an eb3 visa (as a fitness coach at his company’s fitness centre. If we start the process now, at what point can i stay in the U.S. without having to go home to wait for the completion or denial of the visa?

Thanks in anticipation of you answer!

38. justine
    December 12th, 2008 at 06:25 | #38

good day. my mother is a LPR in the us and i was petitioned under the F2B category however when the petition wa filed i was still married.i had my interview and was denied the visa.Was my petition void since i was married? if i present an annulment paper(since i was married in the phil),will my case be reopened and consider or will i have to start all over,meaning a new petition that means also longer years of wait.thank you so much.answer badly needed

39. sweetie
    February 10th, 2009 at 11:12 | #39

hello john! i am really in dire need of your advice. my priority date for f1 is 1999.. so i figured, i’ll just go ahead and get married last year as i didnt want to wait that long. i just recently received the appointment of agent packet and was wondering if i declare that i am married and switch to the f3 category, will my priority date be retained? or would it take longer? and approximately how long?? hope to hear from you! thanks!

40. rolds
    May 20th, 2009 at 05:59 | #40

If you want to know the current today type website us visa bulletin

thanks

rolds

41. Irma
    July 21st, 2009 at 15:49 | #41

Hi John, my priority date for my F2B Case type I130 is January 26, 1998 and its already current. As of now, i havent received any mails from US embassy-Manila. Could you tell me when I ‘m supposed to be called for interview.

42. Irma
    July 21st, 2009 at 16:04 | #42

Hi everyone!

Just for reference. I have an F2B petition with priority date 26JAN98.
    Current date being process for July is 01APR98. My petition is already current. I’m just curious why I have not receive any letter from the NVC or the embassy-Manila yet. Does anybody here have the similar situation with mine. Thanks.

43. shonal
    January 13th, 2010 at 21:41 | #43

hi john,my priority date is 29dec 2000,can u tel or predict when my dates will be processed. It falls in F4 category
    thanx in advance

44. February 22nd, 2010 at 02:50 | #44

Great articles & Nice a site….

45. Irma
    February 26th, 2010 at 08:48 | #45

Hi John,
    Im from the Philippines. My priority date is January 26, 1998 for F2B category. My petitioner (which is my mother in New York) already paid Visa Processing Fee on July 2009, on that same year we submitted DS-230 Part-1 as well as Affidavit of Support through our representative attorney. As of this date we have not received any notice from the NVC if our case is already complete. I have not receive any mails either from the US Embassy Manila.

How long is the waiting period for my schedule interview?
    Thanks in advance and more power.

46. jennet r.aquino
    February 27th, 2010 at 01:23 | #46

hw long i w8 2 approved my visa its been 13 yrs now under f4 visa ,

47. hana
    March 1st, 2010 at 16:17 | #47

hi john im from kosovo.My brother who is a US citizen apply for me and my family immigration visa F4 . my priority date is 31 march 2008 i want to know how long does it take to go in usa

48. LEA ABARRA
    August 13th, 2010 at 23:32 | #48

hi john.my priority date is decemmber 7,1994 F3 CATEGORY and the current NEXT month is january 1,1995 i’m just wondering why i havent receive any letter from NVC.WHAT IS THE BEST THING TO DO?THANK YOU

49. Rolly L. Arambulo
    March 31st, 2011 at 15:16 | #49

Hi there !!!, i want to know about the availability of visa number. my priority date is within the year of 2002.(F4) Please help me. Thanx.

50. Juris Villa
    June 7th, 2012 at 15:06 | #50

Hi,
    I have a pending f4 visa for my sister, who changed her Filipino citizenship to Irish. Will that speed up the wait time for her green card? Thanks!

Comment pages